Monday, June 15, 2009

Man vs. Machine

My brother and I went running this morning. Big brother, BB, helped me go about a mile today. Considering I can't remember the last time I exercised, that's pretty good! He has this plan. I think this is a plan I can live with for a bit.

BB says that if we run for 30 seconds and then abruptly stop and try to lower our heart rate with deep breaths for 30 seconds, we will work harder and burn more fat. He had a good analogy I want to share. Two women were out walking, sharing the road with us. He said they were like cars on the interstate. They have a constant speed and go for the long haul. This is most fuel efficient, doesn't wear and tear on a vehicle as much as say..... DRAG RACING.

Yes, BB, said that our running, stopping routine was like a car drag racing. We burn up fuel going fast and then stopping. We still go the distance of the interstate walkers, it just takes more energy getting there. To quote, BB, "unlike a car that will eventually break down under these conditions, our bodies break down only to become stronger."

Well, it was something like that. It sounded better when BB said it at 5:30 a.m. as I was huffing and puffing on a 30 second break. It was either the awesomeness of the phrase or the enormous exertion that caused me to see stars. No, really, I was seeing stars before we finished! Yikes, I have a loooooonnnnnnnggggggg way to go. Every journey begins with a single step. My journey began at dawn.

It felt good to be outside when the mercury is below 90, the sun new in the sky. I'm off to bed so I can greet the morning sun. I want to welcome in the new day... drag racing style!

No comments:

Post a Comment